Friday, April 02, 2010

Paris Day 2

Day 2 - Monday

Sunny day! So it was up to the Sacre Coeur which was near our hotel in Montmarte. Uphill all the way.


And given my horrendous sense of direction, it was reassuring to have this sign pointing straight to it.


And yes, we did make it eventually. The place is truly impressive! And the view from the top of the hill was gorgeous - if not for the masses of tourists crowding round. Sigh.

Around the corner from the Sacre Coeur was the Artists' Market. There were painters and sketch artists flogging their wares in the market square. And as it was a sunny day, the tourists were out in force too. I was tempted to get a sketch done, but i cringed at the price. Plus, how would I get it home undamaged?


I think we were finding our way down the hill when I spotted this nifty little graffiti deer. Cute ain't it?

We had a spot of lunch then walked towards the Eiffel Tower!


Looks grand doesn't it?

We sat in the park and had some wine and some words.

Then waited in the longest line ever. Okay, so maybe not as long as in the summer time, but still too long for my liking. Plus I needed to pee - wine goes straight thru me.

We eventually did get a ticket and went all the way up! You have to stop on the 2nd floor

My fave view from the 2nd floor. Going UP!


And we did finally make it to the top! Paris is huge!
The third floor actually has an inside and an outside. The Inside looks like this:

And it's pretty small. Compared to the other floor of course, but when filled with people its tiny! Imagine summer - stuffy and hot. Yikes!

And only then did the Boy tell me he was afraid of heights. Bless.

We managed to Scramble our way down the Tower, no help from a group of teenage Irish school kids on a history trip. Noisy little fkers.

Walked up to Trocadero. Then to the Arc de Triomphe!


Taken from around about the Champs Elysée.

There are loads of names neatly inscribed on the inside of the Arc. All Napoleon's fallen methinks. I'm not sure.

Onwards down the Champs Elysée.

The Boy stopped off at the local McD for a toilet break when I spotted these:


Macarons!


In McDonalds! I was giggling my little arse off. And I bought a box of 6. It was like eating solid icing sugar. Very very sweet. But the caramel macaron was yum.
We headed back after that. Long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment